Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
This is one of my favorite soups and I serve it every year for Thanksgiving. With butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apples and warm spices, it’s tastes just like fall in a bowl. It’s surprisingly easy to make; the hardest part is wrestling with your butternut squash, so try to find one already cut up and packaged. Otherwise, see my photo tutorial below on how to prep it. Enjoy!
How to Prep a Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups roughly chopped yellow onions
- 6 cups (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cups (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tart yet sweet apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp, cored, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large pot. Add the onions and cook over medium-low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the butternut squash, sweet potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper to pot. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the diced apple and purée the soup with a handheld immersion blender until very smooth and creamy. (Alternatively, use a standard blender to puree soup in batches, being careful not to fill the jar more than halfway. Leave the hole in the lid open and loosely cover with a dish towel to allow the heat to escape. Pour the blended soup into a clean pot.)
- Add the honey, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg and heavy cream and stir. Bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If you like a sweeter soup, add more honey. For a thinner soup, stir in a bit of water; to thicken, simmer and stir over low heat.
- Note: This soup thickens as it cools. If necessary, add a bit of water to thin it back to desired consistency.
- Per serving (8 servings)
- Calories: 375
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Sugar: 19g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 829mg
- Cholesterol: 59mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.