If you’re anything like me, you need a few good banana bread recipes. I’ve never been able to accurately predict my family’s banana consumption: one week we go through ‘em all; the next, they sit untouched, rotting in the bowl. This irresistibly tender and moist banana bread with a crisp crust is my go-to recipe. It’s phenomenal right out of the oven, and delicious all over again when you toast it for breakfast the next day. You’ll notice that it doesn’t rise as much as other quick breads or crack in the center; that’s because it has less flour, which makes it more of a banana bread-banana cake hybrid.
Personally, I like my banana bread chock full of extras – nuts, coconut, you name it. But if I want to make everyone happy, especially my daughter who feels strongly that such things do not belong in her banana bread, then I make this. It’s perfect plain, but feel free to add some toasted chopped nuts if you like.
- 1-3/4 cups cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas, from 2-3 large bananas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5-inch metal loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix the melted butter and sugar until blended. Add the eggs, mashed bananas, lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix well.
- On low speed, stir in flour mixture until just incorporated. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 - 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Per serving (12 servings)
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Sugar: 14 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Sodium: 197 mg
- Cholesterol: 51 mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.