Strawberry and Orange Salad with Citrus Syrup & Fresh Mint
This is one of my favorite fruit salads, and it’s such a nice change of pace from the standard mix of pre-cut fruit from the supermarket. I usually serve it for brunch — it dresses up the table and pairs well with savory quiche and casserole dishes — but it’s also wonderful for dessert served with shortcake and whipped cream.
With only five ingredients, it’s quick and easy to make. The only tricky part is cutting the oranges. Rather than slicing them into wheels, I like to cut the segments out of the membranes; it takes a few extra minutes but it’s prettier and the oranges are so much easier to eat.
To begin, cut a slice off the top and bottom so that the orange sits flat, then use a knife to work your way around the fruit to remove all the skin and pith. Holding the orange over the serving bowl, use a sharp knife to cut the segments out from in between the membranes.
Squeeze all the juice from the oranges into a separate bowl, then stir in the lemon juice and brown sugar. Pour the syrup over the fruit and sprinkle with fresh mint. Refrigerate the salad for at least 30 minutes or up to six hours to allow the flavors to marry.
Strawberry and Orange Salad with Citrus Syrup and Fresh Mint
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved (or quartered if very large)
- 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2-1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint, plus a sprig for garnish
- Place the strawberries into a serving bowl.
- Cut a slice off the top and bottom of each orange so they sit flat on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, work your way around the fruits to remove all the skin and pith. Cupping the orange in one hand and working over the serving bowl, carefully cut the segments out from between the membranes. (Be sure to cut only until you reach the middle of the fruit!) Over a separate small bowl, firmly squeeze the remaining membranes to release all the orange juice.
- Add the lemon juice and brown sugar to the freshly squeezed orange juice and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the strawberries and orange segments and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with fresh mint. Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary (the syrup should have a perfect balance of tart and sweet). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to six hours. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve in shallow bowls with spoons.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 136
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Sugar: 27g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.