Zucchini and Cheddar Frittata
I always love the idea of a frittata. So long as you have a carton of eggs, you can throw one together in 30 minutes, and they’re great for using up any leftover veggies, bits of meat or hunks of cheese you might have languishing in the fridge. Problem is, they’re usually dry, tough and spongy — and just not that good. Whenever I have one, I find myself thinking that for the same calories, I’d so much rather be eating quiche! This is my kind of frittata: delicate and creamy, almost like a crustless quiche. There are three secrets to success: 1) squeeze as much water as possible out of the zucchini; 2) add heavy cream and lots of cheese to the egg mixture; and 3) bake the frittata in the oven at a low temperature, instead of the traditional stovetop-to-broiler method, so the eggs cook gently into a custard without scrambling.
It’s best to use small zucchini, as they contain less water. Once grated, place the zucchini on several layers of paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible.
Depending on how much water is in the zucchini, you may need to repeat this step.
Next, melt a few tablespoons of butter in an 8 or 10-inch oven-proof, nonstick sauté pan.
Add the shallots.
Along with the zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the zucchini is tender.
Meanwhile, combine the eggs, remaining salt, pepper and heavy cream in a large bowl.
Whisk to combine.
Add the cooked zucchini and grated cheese to the egg mixture and stir.
Pour the frittata mixture back into the pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until just set.
Zucchini & Cheddar Frittata
- 3/4 pound (12 oz) zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from 1-2 shallots
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces (about 1 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Using a food processor or box grater, grate the zucchini. Place the grated zucchini on top of several layers of paper towels and wring dry. If necessary, repeat 1-2 times to remove any excess moisture.
- In an 8 or 10-inch ovenproof, nonstick sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot, zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the moisture evaporates and the zucchini is tender, 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked zucchini and grated cheese to the egg mixture and stir to combine. Pour the frittata mixture into the pan (no need to wash it), then place in the oven and bake until set, 20-23 minutes.
- Note: Be sure to keep a dish towel over the pan handle after you remove it from the oven; it's easy to forget that it's hot and burn your hand.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 26g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Sugar: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 16g
- Sodium: 337mg
- Cholesterol: 689mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.