Baby Kale Salad with Lemon, Parmesan & Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
This delicious salad makes a satisfying and healthy lunch all on its own, or a perfect side to jazz up a simple rotisserie chicken for dinner.
For the Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 5oz Bag or Container Baby Kale or Kale/Dark Greens Mix
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Regianno
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place the chickpeas on the prepared baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10-12 minutes, stirring once, until the chickpeas are slightly shrunken and crispy. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the greens and toss until evenly coated. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (I usually add a bit more salt). Arrange on plates and top with Parmigiano-Regianno shavings and crispy roasted chickpeas.
- Note: If you can't find baby kale, feel free to substitute any other deep green blend, arugula or Lacinato kale (you'll just have to chop the leaves and let it marinate a bit).
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 342
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
- Sugar: 5g
- Fiber: 8g
- Protein: 14g
- Sodium: 940mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.