Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip
This warm artichoke and spinach dip bakes up creamy and wonderfully rich.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 10-ounce box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed very dry
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 9-ounce boxes frozen artichoke hearts (not thawed), chopped coarse
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Set an oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and stir constantly for about 5 minutes or until the mixture is a golden sandy color. Whisk in the milk and bring the liquid to a boil. Simmer, stirring constantly, for a few minutes, or until the liquid is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, ½ teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. It will be quite thick. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, garlic, chopped artichokes, thyme, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Transfer the vegetables to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cheese sauce to the vegetables and fold together until well combined. Transfer the mixture to an oven-safe serving dish and bake for 20 minutes, or until hot throughout and very lightly golden on top. Serve with sliced baguette.
- Per serving (8 servings)
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Sugar: 5 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 12 g
- Sodium: 488 mg
- Cholesterol: 44 mg