Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
These light-as-a-cloud, kiss-shaped chocolate chip meringue cookies have a crisp outer shell and marshmallowy-soft interior.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Set two racks in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 250°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on medium-high speed (or high speed if using a hand mixer) until the egg whites are frothy, white, and hold a soft peak when the whisk is lifted out of the bowl, about 45 seconds. Continue to beat on medium-high speed, adding the sugar very gradually, taking about 2 minutes to add it all. Beat for 4 to 5 minutes more, until the meringue is glossy and stiff, with a shaving cream-like consistency. Beat in the vanilla extract. Set 3 tablespoons of the chocolate chips aside. Add the remaining chocolate chips to the meringue and fold with a rubber spatula to combine.
- Use two soup spoons to drop 1.5-in mounds of meringue onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Dot the meringues with the reserved chocolate chips, pressing them into the meringue just slightly. Place the meringues in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the meringues cool in the oven for 30 minutes more. Let the meringues finish cooling on the baking sheets on the countertop for about 1 hour, or until the chocolate chips are no longer soft. The cookies are best enjoyed fresh on the day they are made but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for several days. Take care when stacking the cookies; they are fragile.
- Note: It's best to make these cookies on a cool, dry day. Humidity may cause them to become sticky.
- Per serving (20 servings)
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 63
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Sodium: 24 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.