Creamy Zucchini Soup with Walnuts and Dill
This creamless yet creamy zucchini soup is thickened with walnuts. Serve it hot or cold, depending on the weather.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into quarters
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth (such as Swanson Organic)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, or 1 tablespoon dried, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-low heat in a large pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent. Do not brown.
- Add the zucchini, chicken broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts on the prepared baking sheet and toast in the oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. (Keep a close eye on them as nuts can burn quickly.)
- Add the dill and walnuts to the soup. Using a stick blender, purée the soup until smooth. (Alternatively, purée the soup in batches in a blender. Be careful not to fill the jar more than halfway, and leave the hole in the lid open and loosely cover with a dish towel to allow the heat to escape.)
- Add the lemon juice and the remaining tablespoon of oil to the soup, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (I usually add about 1/4 teaspoon more salt). Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with dill, and serve.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost it in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours, until completely thawed. Serve cold or reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
- Per serving (6 servings)
- Calories: 166
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 629mg
- Cholesterol: 5mg