French Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese
This hearty lentil salad is perfect for a light dinner or a wholesome on-the-go lunch.
- 1 cup French green lentils (or common brown or green lentils)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Lucini or Colavita
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- Before cooking the lentils, make sure you rinse them well and pick over them to remove any small rocks or debris. Combine lentils, chicken broth and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes for French green lentils or 20-25 minutes for common brown or green lentils. Remove bay leaf, strain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except goat cheese. Add cooled lentils and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer salad to serving dish, crumble goat cheese over top and serve.
- Note: When preparing this recipe, be sure to build in at least 10 minutes to cool the lentils after they have cooked.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 432
- Fat: 21g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 16g
- Protein: 21g
- Sodium: 675mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.