Greek Shrimp with Tomatoes & Feta
One of my go-to weeknight dinners: Greek shrimp nestled in a spiced tomato sauce, topped with chunks of feta, and then baked until golden.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots, from about 3 shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (use less if you are heat-sensitive)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 pounds extra large shrimp (26/30), peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F; set one oven rack in the middle position and another about 5 inches underneath the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide oven-proof skillet (see note) over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and honey. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Off the heat, arrange the shrimp over the tomato sauce in an even layer. Crumble the feta over the shrimp, and then sprinkle with the oregano. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked (the cooking time will depend on the size of the shrimp). Turn on the broiler. Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the pan to the higher oven rack and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the feta is golden brown in spots. Using an oven mitt, remove the pan from the oven (and immediately place the oven mitt or a dishtowel over the handle of the pan because it's very easy to forget that it is burning hot). Let the shrimp rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with mint and serve.
- Note: If you do not have an oven-proof skillet, simply transfer the tomato sauce to a 9-by-13-inch or equivalent broiler-safe baking dish and proceed from there.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 431
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Sugar: 14g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 32g
- Sodium: 1379mg
- Cholesterol: 252mg