Hot Buttered Cider with Rum
This hot buttered cider with rum is festive and ideal for a crowd.
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Half-gallon (64 ounces) all natural apple cider
- Rum (or apple brandy)
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Mash with a spoon until evenly combined.
- Bring the apple cider to a simmer over medium heat in a large pot, then turn the heat down to low. Gradually add the butter mixture, whisking until the butter is melted.
- Ladle the buttered cider into mugs. Top each drink off with a shot of rum and garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve hot.