Indian Spiced Red Lentil & Chicken Soup
This red lentil and chicken soup is a quick and easy version of Mulligatawny, the curry-flavored soup popular in Anglo-Indian cuisine.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (curry powder is a fine substitute)
- 3 medium carrots, diced into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tart-yet-sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp or Fuji, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, best quality such as Swanson
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded, skinless cooked chicken, from a store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftovers
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus 6 lime wedges, for serving (you'll need 2-3 limes)
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garam masala and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the chopped carrots, onions, apples, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 7-8 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, red lentils, ginger and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and starting to break down.
- Add the cooked chicken and 1 tablespoon lime juice, and heat until warmed through. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, more lime juice and cayenne pepper, if desired. Serve the soup generously sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro, with lime wedges on the side.
- Note: The soup will thicken as it sits. Add more chicken broth to thin it out if necessary.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: This soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat it on the stovetop over medium-low heat until hot. (The soup will thicken up a lot when frozen, so you’ll likely need to add quite a bit of broth when reheating.)
- Per serving (6 servings)
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Sugar: 7g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 22g
- Sodium: 434mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg