Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Maple & Thyme
These mashed sweet potatoes are jazzed up with butter, maple syrup and thyme. Perfect for the holidays!
- 3 pounds medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh minced thyme, plus a few sprigs for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
- Prick each sweet potato 3-4 times with a fork. Place on baking sheet and bake until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the maple syrup, milk, salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked and cool enough to handle, cut them in half. Holding them in one hand with an oven mitt, scoop the flesh out into the pan with the butter mixture. Over low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or fork until smooth and warm throughout. Stir in the thyme. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary (I usually add 1/4 teaspoon more salt). Transfer to a platter, garnish with thyme sprigs, and serve.
- Note: These sweet potatoes can be made entirely ahead of time. Before serving, stir in a bit of milk and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Per serving (6 servings)
- Calories: 362
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 60g
- Sugar: 23g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 4g
- Sodium: 816mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.