Parmesan Buttered Popcorn
Melted butter and freshly grated Parmesan make this popcorn special and irresistibly good.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popping corn (I like Orville Redenbacher's Original Gourmet Popping Corn)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Scant 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pour the oil, popping corn and salt into a heavy 3-quart or larger pan (the kernels should be in single layer). Stir so that the salt and oil coat the kernels evenly. Cover with a lid and cook over medium-high heat, occasionally shaking the pan, until the popping almost stops. Do not let it burn; when the popping slows, it's done. Remove from the heat and let the remaining kernels pop.
- Remove the lid and drizzle the melted butter evenly over the popcorn. Transfer the popcorn into a serving bowl, then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and black pepper. Toss gently, then taste and add more salt if desired.
- Note: Be sure to transfer the popcorn to a serving bowl before adding the cheese. If you add the cheese to the popcorn in the warm pan, it will melt and stick to the bottom.