Quinoa Salad with Corn, Tomatoes, Avocado and Lime
This summer salad of quinoa tossed with crisp fresh corn, juicy tomatoes, jalapeños, creamy avocado and fresh lime is both healthy and filling.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion, from one small onion
- 1 cup pre-washed quinoa (if not washed, follow package instructions for rinsing)
- 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups vegetable broth (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, from 2 medium tomatoes
- 1-1/4 cups fresh cut cooked corn, from 2 cobs
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely sliced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from 1 large lime
- 1 avocado, cut into bite-sized chunks
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the quinoa to the onions and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Cover the pan tightly with a lid, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 17 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Transfer the cooked quinoa to a mixing bowl and chill in the refrigerator.
- When the quinoa is cool, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, tomatoes, corn, scallions, jalapeno, cilantro, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Right before serving, scatter the avocado chunks over top.
- Note: The quinoa will cling to the avocado, so it's best to scatter it over top rather than mix it in. Also, be very careful when chopping jalapeño peppers. The juices and seeds can irritate your skin so it's a good idea to wear gloves; at the very least, keep your hands away from your eyes and wash them well when done.
- Note: Different brands of quinoa call for different amounts of liquid; refer to the package instructions for the correct amount.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 45g
- Sugar: 6g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 614mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg