Strawberry and Orange Salad with Citrus Syrup and Fresh Mint
This gorgeous strawberry and orange fruit salad is a refreshing change from the typical pre-cut fruit salad.
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved (or quartered if very large)
- 3 oranges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 2-1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint, plus a sprig for garnish
- Place the strawberries into a serving bowl.
- Cut a slice off the top and bottom of each orange so they sit flat on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, work your way around the fruits to remove all the skin and pith. Cupping the orange in one hand and working over the serving bowl, carefully cut the segments out from between the membranes. (Be sure to cut only until you reach the middle of the fruit!) Over a separate small bowl, firmly squeeze the remaining membranes to release all the orange juice.
- Add the lemon juice and brown sugar to the freshly squeezed orange juice and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the strawberries and orange segments and gently toss to combine. Sprinkle with fresh mint. Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary (the syrup should have a perfect balance of tart and sweet). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to six hours. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve in shallow bowls with spoons.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Serving size: about 1 cup
- Calories: 136
- Fat: 1g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Sugar: 27g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.