Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Streusel
Perfect for Thanksgiving, this down-home sweet potato casserole replaces the traditional marshmallow topping with a crunchy pecan streusel.
For the Sweet Potato Mixture
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (no need to salt). Add the sweet potatoes and cook until soft and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: Melt the butter in a medium bowl in the microwave. (Alternatively, melt it in a small pan over low heat and transfer to a medium bowl.) Add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix until well combined. It should look a little clumpy. Stir in the chopped nuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the cooked and drained sweet potatoes with a potato masher or large fork until very smooth. Add the melted butter, salt, sugar, and nutmeg and mix well. Mix in the eggs. It's okay if there are some lumps. Set aside.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to a 2-quart baking dish and spread evenly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture and bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: You can assemble and refrigerate the casserole up to 2 days ahead of time.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: You can freeze the unbaked sweet potato portion of the recipe, tightly covered, for up to 3 months. Before baking, defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then proceed with the recipe instructions.
- Per serving (8 servings)
- Calories: 489
- Fat: 22 g
- Saturated fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Sugar: 35 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Sodium: 348 mg
- Cholesterol: 77 mg