Thai Cucumber Salad with Peanuts
Peanuts add welcome crunch to this tangy and sweet Thai cucumber salad.
For the Salad
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 large English cucumbers, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 1/3 cup packed chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (or use 1-2 Thai chiles for more heat)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from 2-3 limes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Place the onions in a small bowl of cold water. Let sit for ten minutes, then drain well and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a large bowl, combine the drained red onions, cucumbers, cilantro, peanuts and jalapeño pepper. Set aside.
- Make the dressing: combine the lime juice, oil, fish sauce, sugar and garlic in a small bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add salt if necessary. Serve the salad within 30 minutes.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Sugar: 12g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 6g
- Sodium: 660mg
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Gluten-Free Adaptable Note
To the best of my knowledge, all of the ingredients used in this recipe are gluten-free or widely available in gluten-free versions. There is hidden gluten in many foods; if you're following a gluten-free diet or cooking for someone with gluten allergies, always read the labels of your ingredients to verify that they are gluten-free.