Triple Chocolate Loaf Cake
This chocolate loaf cake from Ina Garten tastes as rich and chocolaty as a brownie.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, best quality
- 2 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder, such as Hershey's
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, such as Nescafé
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, best quality
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set an oven rack in the middle position. Grease two 8x4-in loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray with flour, such as Baker's Joy or Pam with Flour.
- Pour the boiling water into a 2-cup glass measuring cup, add the bittersweet chocolate, cocoa powder, and coffee granules, and stir until the chocolate melts. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and salt and set aside. In another bowl, toss the chocolate chips with the remaining 2 tablespoons flour and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or beaters, beat the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula. The mixture may look at little curdled at this point; that's okay. Alternately in thirds, add the flour mixture and the chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. (Don't worry if there are a few bits of unmelted chocolate in the chocolate mixture.) Fold in the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula. Divide the batter equally between the prepared pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (Test in a few places because you might hit a warm chocolate chip.) Cool in the pans for 15 minutes, turn out on a cooling rack, rounded side up, and allow to cool to room temperature. Slice with a serrated knife.
- Per serving (24 servings)
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Calories: 251
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Sugar: 24 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Sodium: 128 mg
- Cholesterol: 46 mg