Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Loaded with shredded zucchini and chocolate chips, these zucchini muffins make a wholesome on-the-go breakfast or after school snack.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 medium (9 oz) zucchini, grated (no need to wring dry)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and set rack in the middle position. Generously coat a muffin pan generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and whisk to combine. Stir in the zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips and all of the nuts (if using).
- Using a large spoon or ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the muffin wells, filling each almost completely. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips onto the muffins, pressing them in lightly so they adhere. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Serve warm or room temperature.
- The muffins are best served on the same day they are made, but will keep, wrapped in foil, at room temperature for 2 days.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The muffins can be frozen in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag for up to 3 months. Thaw for 3 – 4 hours on the countertop before serving. To reheat, wrap individual muffins in aluminum foil and place in a preheated 350°F oven until warm.
- Serving size: 1 muffin (with nuts)
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Sugar: 27 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Sodium: 193 mg
- Cholesterol: 53 mg