Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding with Vanilla Ice Cream
When topped with vanilla ice cream, this warm chocolate bread pudding tastes like a grown-up brownie sundae.
For the Chocolate Bread Pudding
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 cups half and half
- 1-1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large (about 1.3 lb) challah, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
For the Bread Pudding
- Chop the chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks. Reserve 2/3 cup and set aside (you'll use this for sprinkling over the bread pudding before baking).
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the half and half, brown sugar and cocoa powder; bring to a boil. Off the heat, whisk in the remaining chocolate, bourbon and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and vanilla extract. Very gradually, pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, whisking vigorously to combine (pour slowly, especially at the beginning, or the hot chocolate mixture will scramble the eggs). Add the bread cubes to the custard; cover and let soak in the fridge for at least 1.5 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x13x2-inch glass baking dish with butter or nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the chocolate-soaked bread to the prepared baking dish, and spread the bread around evenly. Scatter the reserved 2/3 cup of chocolate over top, then use a spoon to push about half of the chocolate bits down into the pudding. Bake until slightly puffed and set in the center, 45-50 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes, then serve warm, dusted with confectioners' sugar and topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Per serving (12 servings)
- Calories: 488
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Sugar: 32g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 13g
- Sodium: 275mg
- Cholesterol: 179mg