Zesty Homemade Italian Salad Dressing over Romaine
This is one of my favorite salad dressings, not least because it’s easy to make and my whole family loves it. It’s a classic oil and vinegar dressing with lots of garlic and a few surprise ingredients, like Worcestershire sauce and maple syrup. Sounds unusual, I know, but it works: the Worcestershire adds a punch of savory flavor and the maple syrup rounds out the acidity.
To make it, simply combine all the ingredients in a jar and shake to emulsify. That’s all there is to it. Enjoy!
Zesty Homemade Italian Salad Dressing
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Colavita or Lucini
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, best quality such as Pompeian Gourmet or Domaine des Vignes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large head of romaine, washed, dried and cut into large, bite-sized pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a jar. Seal tightly with lid and shake vigorously to emulsify. Toss gently with the romaine lettuce right before serving. Store extra dressing in refrigerator for up to a week. As the dressing sits, it will separate (and solidify in the fridge), so be sure to shake well before using.
- Serving size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 155
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Sodium: 151 mg
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.