Thai Chicken & Rice Noodle Soup
Happy New Year, everyone! Is it just me, or is anyone else finding it hard to get back into the cooking groove after the holidays? After ten days in the Florida sunshine – and ten straight nights of dinners out – the idea of bundling up in my puffy coat to go grocery shopping is a little dispiriting. But the idea of comfort food is reason to cheer up, so this month I have lots of “bowl food” planned for you. First: a fragrant, warming chicken and rice noodle soup. Made with a rotisserie chicken and pantry staples, it’s almost instant gratification. I hope it leaves you feeling cozy, happy, and all warmed up.
You’ll notice that the recipe calls for Thai green curry paste, an excellent substitute for hard-to-find Asian ingredients, like lemongrass and galangal. You can find it, along with the other Asian pantry staples, in the Asian section of most large supermarkets.
Begin by heating the oil in a medium soup pot. Add the shallots and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the green curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more.
Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and turmeric; bring to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles by dropping them in boiling water.
Let sit for a few minutes to soften.
When ready to serve, divide the noodles and chicken into serving bowls.
Ladle the broth over top and sprinkle with cilantro and scallions. Serve with Sriracha sauce and lime wedges.
Thai Chicken & Rice Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots, from 1-2 large shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 packed teaspoons light or dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 oz thin rice noodles
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, from a rotisserie chicken
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Sriracha sauce
- Lime wedges
- Heat the oil in a medium soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the green curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and turmeric; bring to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions.
- When ready to serve, taste the soup and adjust the seasoning. Gently reheat the noodles in the microwave, if necessary. Divide the noodles and chicken into serving bowls. Ladle the broth over top and sprinkle with cilantro and scallions. Serve with Sriracha sauce and lime wedges.
- Note: As the soup sits on the stove, some of the fat may rise to the surface. Feel free to skim it, if necessary. Otherwise, you can stir it back in.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 31 g
- Saturated fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Sodium: 942 mg
- Cholesterol: 53 mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.