Asian Kale Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
Believe or not, this salad will have you eating your vegetables (and, most surprisingly, your kale) with pleasure and abandon. Bright, bold flavors and textures abound: earthy kale, cool and crunchy veggies, toasted almonds, and a creamy peanut dressing laced with ginger, honey, spicy sriracha and fresh lime. It’s meant to be a side dish, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably find yourself eating the whole lot of it for dinner.
The salad itself is easy to throw together because you can (and should) use pre-shredded red cabbage and carrots.
You can also buy the kale stemmed and washed, so all that’s left to do is chop it up; just be sure it’s completely dry so it doesn’t water down the dressing.
Begin by toasting the almonds until lightly golden and fragrant.
Meanwhile, make the dressing.
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
Place the vegetables and nuts in a large bowl and pour the dressing over top.
Toss and enjoy.
Asian Kale Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing
For the Salad
- 4 cups chopped curly kale, thick stems removed (be sure it's dry)
- 3 cups prepared shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups prepared shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from one lime
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Bake the almonds until lightly golden and fragrant, 5-10 minutes. (Keep a close eye on them; nuts burn quickly.) Let cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the salad in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender; process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve immediately.
- Per serving (6 servings)
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Sugar: 17g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Cholesterol: 0
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.