As much as I love salad as a meal, it’s not usually enough for my husband, who is more of a protein/two sides kind of a guy. But this is one salad that I can get away with serving for dinner — it’s satisfying and full of bright, spicy Southeast Asian flavor. It’s easy too. You simply shred a rotisserie chicken, chop some veggies, whisk the dressing and dinner is done. The recipe makes enough for 2 to 3 main course salads; if you want to stretch it, serve some store-bought crispy spring rolls on the side and Peach Mango Smoothies for dessert.
To begin, combine all of the salad ingredients, except for the peanuts, in a large bowl.
Next, make the dressing. You’ll need to juice a few limes; an inexpensive juicer like this one is helpful but not necessary.
Whisk together the fresh squeezed lime juice, Sriracha, garlic, sugar, fish sauce and vegetable oil.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well.
Top with peanuts and serve.
Note: This recipe originally comes from Saveur magazine but I’ve tweaked it a bit to make it my own. (I omitted the rice vinegar and Thai peppers, increased the lime, and added bell peppers, scallions, Sriracha and peanuts.)
My Recipe Videos
Vietnamese Shredded Chicken Salad
For the Salad
- 2 heaping cups cooked shredded chicken, from one store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated or matchstick carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, from about 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (preferably a brand imported from Thailand or Vietnam)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large salad bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients except for the peanuts. In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the dressing; whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Right before serving, toss the dressing with the salad. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the peanuts. Serve cold.
- Per serving (4 servings)
- Calories: 417
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Sugar: 12g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 20g
- Sodium: 1169mg
- Cholesterol: 50mg
This website is written and produced for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. The data is calculated through an online nutritional calculator, Edamam.com. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.