If you’ve been searching for the perfect brownie recipe, look no further. I promise you, this is it! Typically, brownie lovers fall into two camps: the “fudgy” and the “cakey.” I dare say these brownies — moist and fudgy in the center, and cakey and crisp on the surface — appeal to all. The recipe comes from Nick Malgieri’s Chocolate cookbook, an excellent resource for all things chocolate.
Begin by lining the pan with parchment paper, then either spray the paper with non-stick cooking spray or grease with butter. Be sure to leave an overhang; this makes it easy to lift brownies out of the pan before cutting.
Next, combine the chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
Melt in the microwave, stopping every 20 seconds to stir so the chocolate doesn’t scorch.
Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
Add the sugars, salt and vanilla.
And whisk to combine.
Stir in the chocolate-butter mixture.
Then fold in the flour.
Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan.
Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the top has formed a shiny crust and the batter is moderately firm. Cool completely on a rack, then use the parchment overhang to transfer the un-cut brownies to a cutting board.
Use a sharp knife to trim the hard edges (those are for the cook!).
Then cut the brownies into 2-inch squares.
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I use Ghirardelli bars)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with knife
- Set the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with parchment paper (bring parchment up sides of pan so there is a slight overhang) and grease with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and turn off heat. Combine the butter and chocolate in a heat proof bowl and set over pan of water. Stir occasionally until melted. (Alternatively, melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, stopping at 20 second intervals to stir and prevent scorching.)
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl, then whisk in the salt, sugars, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate and butter mixture, then fold in the flour.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for about 45 minutes, until top has formed a shiny crust and batter is moderately firm. Cool completely in pan on a rack. If not serving right away, wrap pan in plastic wrap and keep at room temperature or refrigerated until the next day.
- To cut brownies, first lift them out of pan using the parchment overhang and transfer them to a cutting board. Separate parchment from edges. Using a sharp knife, trim away edges and cut brownies into 2-inch squares.
- Serving size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 212
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Sugar: 22g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 66mg
- Cholesterol: 51mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.