Believe or not, this salad will have you eating your vegetables (and, most surprisingly, your kale) with pleasure and abandon. Bright, bold flavors and textures abound: earthy kale, cool and crunchy veggies, toasted almonds, and a creamy peanut dressing laced with ginger, honey, spicy sriracha and fresh lime. It’s meant to be a side dish, but if you’re anything like me, you’ll probably find yourself eating the whole lot of it for dinner.
The salad itself is easy to throw together because you can (and should) use pre-shredded red cabbage and carrots.
You can also buy the kale stemmed and washed, so all that’s left to do is chop it up; just be sure it’s completely dry so it doesn’t water down the dressing.
Begin by toasting the almonds until lightly golden and fragrant.
Meanwhile, make the dressing.
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
Place the vegetables and nuts in a large bowl and pour the dressing over top.
Toss and enjoy.
My Recipe Videos
Asian Kale Slaw with Ginger Peanut Dressing
For the Salad
- 4 cups chopped curly kale, thick stems removed (be sure it's dry)
- 3 cups prepared shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups prepared shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, from one lime
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1-inch square piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Bake the almonds until lightly golden and fragrant, 5-10 minutes. (Keep a close eye on them; nuts burn quickly.) Let cool.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the salad in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor or blender; process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Serve immediately.
- Per serving (6 servings)
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Sugar: 17g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g
- Sodium: 505mg
- Cholesterol: 0
This website is written and produced for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. The data is calculated through an online nutritional calculator, Edamam.com. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.