Banana Bread with Coconut and Pecans
Banana and coconut are a natural combination and this delicious quick bread is a great way to enjoy them. It’s also easy to make; you can throw the ingredients together in twenty minutes, and then just let the oven do its work. Enjoy it warm right out of the oven or toasted for breakfast the next day.
Banana Bread with Coconut & Pecans
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork until smooth (from about 3 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped (see note below)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the melted butter and sugar until just combined. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla. Add the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over-mix. Gently stir in the coconut and nuts (the batter will look lumpy).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center is relatively clean (tester should not be totally dry; the bananas keep it moist) and the top is golden brown. Do not overcook. Let the loaf cool in the pan for about ten minutes, then turn out onto rack. Slice while still warm or store in an airtight container. Toast individual slices for best results.
- Note: Toasting the pecans is optional but enhances their flavor. Simply spread the pecans on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350°F oven for 4-5 minutes.
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.