Chai Spiced Banana Bread
Chai is the actual word for tea in many countries but when we say chai in the States, we’re usually referring to Masala chai, which is a smooth and calming beverage made of black tea, milk and fragrant Indian spices. Its flavor goes beautifully with banana bread, so I’ve taken one of my favorite banana bread recipes and subtly infused it with warm chai spices like cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. It’s wonderfully aromatic — a sophisticated twist on basic banana bread.
As with all banana bread recipes, use very ripe bananas for the most intense banana flavor and a texture that mashes easily.
Begin by creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Be sure they aren’t too cold, or they’ll cause the butter mixture to curdle.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix to blend.
Beat in the mashed bananas, sour cream and vanilla until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
Transfer the batter to a greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, and bake for 60-70 minutes.
Let the loaf cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
Then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Enjoy! Or if chai’s not your thing, you might like these recipes:
Chai Spiced Banana Bread
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with a knife
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas, from 2-3 bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat gently until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream and vanilla and mix on low speed until just combined. Gently stir in nuts if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake until deep golden brown and cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, 60-70 minutes. Let rest in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. This bread is best enjoyed warm out of the oven or toasted.
- Per serving (12 servings)
- Serving size: 1 slice (without nuts)
- Calories: 232
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Sugar: 19g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 271mg
- Cholesterol: 56mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.