Banana Oatmeal Cookies
Meet my new favorite cookie: it’s crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and tastes just like banana bread.
Begin by combining the dry ingredients: flour, quick oats (they are smaller and thinner than regular rolled oats), baking soda, salt and spices.
Next, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the mashed banana, egg and vanilla, then stir in the dry ingredients.
Scoop the dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Note: Like most oatmeal cookies, these are best enjoyed fresh on the day they are made.
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed bananas, from 2 large overripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Space two oven racks so that the oven is divided into thirds. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, a few minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the egg, mashed bananas and vanilla extract; beat until combined. Add the flour and oats mixture and mix on low speed until well combined. Do not overmix.
- Scoop large balls of dough (about 1-1/2 tablespoons) onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing at least 2 inches apart (I use a small ice cream scooper with a wire scraper). Bake for 14-17 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom and front to back midway through, until golden brown. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 128
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Sugar: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Sodium: 83mg
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.