This classic Italian salad is so simple to make that it really requires no measurements: Just a few handfuls of peppery arugula, shaved Parmesan cheese to your liking, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a few swirls of extra virgin olive oil. I’ve provided loose quantities if you need them, but once you make this salad a few times you’ll relish the ease of making it by feel–casually squirting a lemon over the greens, circling olive oil around the bowl…somehow it just tastes better that way. Serve as a first course or with grilled steak or a thin crust pizza.
My Recipe Videos
Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan, Lemon & Olive Oil
- 5 ounces (or 4 generous handfuls) arugula
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Lucini
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Big hunk Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large salad bowl, combine the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the arugula in the bowl and toss with the dressing.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave sheets of Parmesan cheese onto salad (to taste). Serve immediately.