This easy recipe, adapted from Cooks Illustrated, is one of my favorite ways to prepare flank steak. You can make the marinade in the morning, let the meat soak up its flavor all day, then come dinnertime all that’s left to do is fire up the grill. Be sure that your grill is very hot so you get nice grill marks, and cook the meat no further than medium-rare; flank steak is a very lean cut, so it can be a bit tough if over-cooked.
My Recipe Videos
Grilled Flank Steak with Garlic & Rosemary
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 - 2-1/2 lb flank steak
- Make the marinade by combining the olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender. Blitz for a few minutes, until garlic and rosemary are pulverized.
- Place the flank steak in a medium baking dish. Using a fork, poke meat about 10 times on each side. Pour the marinade over top and turn the steak a few times to coat evenly. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Grease grill with oil and preheat to high. When grill is hot, grill flank steak covered for about 5 minutes. Turn and cook covered for about 3-4 minutes more. Let meat rest on cutting board, covered with aluminum foil, for about 15 minutes. Slice very thin against the grain.