Eaten raw, bell peppers are sweet and crunchy yet when cooked, they become tender, luscious and – in this case – ever so slightly charred. The same goes for the onions, which start off sharp and pungent, but transform into sweet caramel-colored ribbons. Try this dish with steak, spicy Italian sausage or on top of a bowl of hot and creamy polenta.
My Recipe Videos
Caramelized Onions and Bell Peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are tender and slightly browned, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar and thyme and turn heat to low. Cook for a few more minutes. Taste and add remaining salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.