I learned the secret to throwing a great party a long time ago from my friend, Katie. It’s simple: she puts a margarita in your hand as soon as you walk through her front door. There’s no better way to get everyone in the mood to unwind and have fun, and this seasonal twist on a traditional margarita is perfect for the holidays.
Though pomegranate fruit might sound a little exotic, it’s actually pretty common as far as cocktails are concerned. You know the red syrup, Grenadine (think Shirley Temple or Tequila Sunrise)? Nowadays it’s made from mostly artificial ingredients, but originally it was made from thickened and sweetened pomegranate juice. It adds a nice touch of color and sweetness to many drinks.
As with all cocktails, you can adjust the strength to your liking. If you like a stronger, more authentic margarita, cut back on the pomegranate juice. My version is pretty fruity, but feel free to increase the amount of juice if it’s too strong for you. Use a good quality 100% agave tequila like Patron Silver – it’ll taste better, and you’ll be glad for it the next day.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) 100% pomegranate juice (unsweetened)
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) freshly squeezed lime juice, from one lime
- 1-1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons or 1 shot) Tequila
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Lime wedges
- Coarse salt
- Ice cubes
- Place coarse salt on a small plate. Rub rim of glass with lime wedge and dip in coarse salt if desired. Add ice cubes to glass if using.
- Combine drink ingredients in a cocktail shaker, add some ice and shake vigorously, then strain into prepared glass. Garnish rim with lime wedge.
- Note: If you want to prepare a pitcher instead of making individual cocktails, simply adjust the quantities for the number of drinks you need. Mix the pomegranate juice, tequila, orange liqueur and lime juice in a pitcher, keep cool, then pour into prepared glasses over ice when ready to serve.
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.