Originally, I was planning to share a basic spiked cider recipe with you but when I made it for my husband to taste, he said it reminded him of his college days when he and his fraternity brothers would spike apple cider with grain alcohol for drunken Halloween parties — not really what I was going for! So I found a way to take it up a notch by combining ordinary spiked cider with Hot Buttered Rum, a classic holiday cocktail. Boy, was that a good idea. It’s ideal for a crowd because it sits on the stove in a big pot for everyone to help themselves. Enjoy!
My Recipe Videos
Hot Buttered Cider with Rum
- Half-gallon (64 ounces) all natural apple cider
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Rum (or apple brandy)
- Cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Bring the apple cider to a simmer over medium heat in a large pot, then turn the heat down to low. Stir in the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Continue stirring until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Ladle the buttered cider into mugs. Top each drink off with a shot of rum and garnish with a cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve hot.