Cheddar Soda Bread
Soda bread is a quick and easy table bread in which baking soda is used as a leavening agent instead of yeast. This version is made with extra sharp cheddar, which gives it a crisp, golden crust and tender, cheesy interior. The dough takes just 10 minutes to put together and bakes in under an hour — all the while making the house smell divine. Serve with a bowl of tomato soup or chili, and dinner is done.
Begin by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the cold cubed butter.
Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers, “cut” the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly, with a few pea size clumps of butter within.
Toss in the cheese.
Whisk together the egg and buttermilk, and add to the bowl.
Stir with a spoon just until all of the flour is absorbed. Do not overmix.
Transfer the dough to a greased 8-inch cake pan. Dust your hands with flour and spread the dough to the edges of the pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for about five minutes, then gently turn it onto a rack to cool.
Slice and serve warm.
This recipe was modestly adapted from Cabot Creamery via KingArthurFlour.com. My only changes were to increase the salt and refine the instructions a bit. See the original recipe and read the rave reviews here.
Irish Cheddar Soda Bread
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with a knife
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, plus more for greasing the pan
- 8 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Toss in the cold butter. Using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, "cut" the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly, with some pea-size clumps of butter within. Mix in the grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the sticky dough to the prepared pan. Dust your hands with flour and press the dough to the edges of the pan. Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool. Cut into wedges and serve warm with softened butter.
- Per serving (12 servings)
- Serving size: 1 wedge
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sugar: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 510mg
- Cholesterol: 47mg
Reviews & Comments
Hungry for ?
Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter — where I share new recipes and seasonal menus for every occasion.
Your email address will never be used for any other purpose.
Curious? See a sample newsletter.