I know what you’re probably thinking: cooked carrots, ho-hum. But wait! These aren’t the boring mushy cooked carrots of your childhood. These carrots are roasted in a high temperature oven until caramelized and tender-crisp — a cooking method that intensifies their flavor and brings out their natural sweetness. It’s an easy technique that anyone can master at home; it’s also the best way to preserve nutrients and give carrots a beautiful bronzed color.
Roasted Carrots with Thyme
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Slice the carrots on the diagonal about 1-½” thick. Make sure all pieces are approximately the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Combine the carrots, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme in a large bowl and toss well. Transfer the carrots to the prepared baking sheet and roast, stirring once mid-way through, until nicely caramelized and tender, 20-25 minutes (cooking time will depend on thickness of carrots). Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.