Soda bread is a quick and easy table bread in which baking soda is used as a leavening agent instead of yeast. This version is made with extra sharp cheddar, which gives it a crisp, golden crust and tender, cheesy interior. The dough takes just 10 minutes to put together and bakes in under an hour — all the while making the house smell divine. Serve with a bowl of tomato soup or chili, and dinner is done.
Begin by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Add the cold cubed butter.
Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers, “cut” the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly, with a few pea size clumps of butter within.
Toss in the cheese.
Whisk together the egg and buttermilk, and add to the bowl.
Stir with a spoon just until all of the flour is absorbed. Do not overmix.
Transfer the dough to a greased 8-inch cake pan. Dust your hands with flour and spread the dough to the edges of the pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for about five minutes, then gently turn it onto a rack to cool.
Slice and serve warm.
This recipe was modestly adapted from Cabot Creamery via KingArthurFlour.com. My only changes were to increase the salt and refine the instructions a bit. See the original recipe and read the rave reviews here.
My Recipe Videos
Irish Cheddar Soda Bread
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled-off with a knife
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch chunks, plus more for greasing the pan
- 8 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1-1/4 cups low fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Toss in the cold butter. Using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, "cut" the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly, with some pea-size clumps of butter within. Mix in the grated cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the sticky dough to the prepared pan. Dust your hands with flour and press the dough to the edges of the pan. Bake the bread for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool. Cut into wedges and serve warm with softened butter.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Once it’s completely cooled, wrap it securely in plastic wrap and place in the freezer. To reheat, wrap the bread in aluminum foil and warm it in a 350°F oven until hot.
- Per serving (12 servings)
- Serving size: 1 wedge
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sugar: 1g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Sodium: 510mg
- Cholesterol: 47mg
This website is written and produced for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional data on this site has not been evaluated or approved by a nutritionist or the Food and Drug Administration. Nutritional information is offered as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. The data is calculated through an online nutritional calculator, Edamam.com. Although I do my best to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Furthermore, different online calculators provide different results depending on their own nutrition fact sources and algorithms. To obtain the most accurate nutritional information in a given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.