Versions of the famous Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts appear in many cookbooks. Since I love them, I thought it only fitting to include my own adaptation here. Sweet, salty, spicy, and rosemary-infused, they are the perfect nibbling food. And they’re so easy to make! Serve them with cocktails, enjoy them as a snack or give them as a gift. But don’t say I didn’t warn you: they are crazy addictive!
Note: I like this recipe best with cashews and pecans, but you can use any nuts that you like. If you use raw nuts, be sure to toast them a bit longer, about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden.
My Recipe Videos
Union Square Café Bar Nuts
- 2-1/2 cups unsalted mixed nuts (any combination of cashews, whole unpeeled almonds, peeled peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts...whatever suits your taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Combine nuts on baking sheet and toast in oven until warm, fragrant and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine rosemary, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and butter. Add the warm, toasted nuts to the spiced butter and toss well. Add kosher salt and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve warm.