This salad is the kind of wholly satisfying dish that makes you wonder if you might possibly be a very happy vegetarian. It’s delicious for lunch or a light bite — all you need to complete the meal is a hunk of warm crusty bread to sop up all the lemon-scented olive oil and feta. It’s also wonderful as a side dish to grilled fish, chicken or steak (particularly these Perfectly Grilled Chicken Breasts or this Grilled Flank Steak).
Begin by tossing big, thick asparagus spears in olive oil, salt and pepper — and get your grill nice and hot.
Grill the spears for a few minutes, turning occasionally, until tender-crisp.
Chop them into bite-sized pieces and toss with the crumbled feta and lemon zest.
That’s all there is to it!
My Recipe Videos
Grilled Asparagus & Feta Salad
- 1 bunch thick asparagus, about 24 spears, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat grill to high.
- Place asparagus spears in baking dish and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Put asparagus on the grill, making sure spears are perpendicular to grates so they don't fall through. Set asparagus dish next to grill (do not clean). Cover and cook asparagus for 3-4 minutes, until nicely browned and tender-crisp. Remove asparagus from grill and place back in baking dish. Let cool, then transfer spears to cutting board and cut into 1½" pieces. Place cut asparagus back in dish, then add remaining tablespoon olive oil, feta, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss gently and season with more salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Serve room temperature or cold.